Saturday, April 30, 2005

Wenatchee Estate...Did They Save Everything?

Dear Readers,
I had a house showing this morning, so I didn't get to go to Hastings for my Saturday morning ritual of drinking coffee and reading magazines. That's alright, though. I don't mind. Sadly, the showing was for an estate sale of a nice old couple that died last year within weeks of each other.

The house has now been vacant for over a year. This is a very cool house, on a large lot, built in about 1952... with an elevator. It's not that I've never seen a house with an elevator before, but not a house this small. It's only about 936 square feet on each level. When I first went in this house, we couldn't get the basement door open, so we had to actually use the elevator. It was a little spooky because I wasn't sure if it worked. As the realtor, I had to pretend to be brave so I offered to go down first. Voila! It worked like a charm. The very funny thing was, when I got down to the basement, all the hats on top of the elevator were now revealed and the people who were left on the upper floor cracked up.

The house is so full of stuff... I think these people saved everything (and I mean everything) since they had it built in 1952. There were still calendars from the 1960's hanging on walls! It was as if they liked the picture on the calendar, they just never took it down. There are stacks of magazines, drawers full of pencils, bags of plastic bags... and lots and lots of nic nacs. We joked that there were nooks and crannies inside the nooks and crannies, and they are all full! From what I understand, the yard used to be beautiful and a major source of pride to the owners. It is now a sad mass of overgrown bushes and weeds and thorny wayward tree suckers.

The executor has been so overwhelmed with where to begin with the sorting and cleaning process, that we haven't done anything for months. Fortunately, she got connected with an antique consignor who will take care of pricing and selling the good stuff and disposing of the rest of it. They take a percentage of the proceeds, which is well worth the service rendered! What a relief.

Anyway, the people I showed the house to are a nice young couple who live across the street. Apparently they kind of looked after the elderly couple when they were alive, and have lots of fond memories. I hope they get to buy the house.

Every house project is a new experience, and I look forward to seeing this through closing... and beyond. I pride myself in turning clients into long term friends. It makes my world a better place, and I've been told vice versa.

Cheers!
Carol

Realtor, ABR, e-PRO, GRI, RECS, REI
Serving all of Washington State
Specializing in Wenatchee & Surrounding Areas
Phone: 509-670-7840 * Fax: 419-818-4009
website: http://toppropertieswenatchee.com/
blog: http://realestatesuccess.blogspot.com/
e-mail: Carol@TopPropertiesWenatchee.com

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Those are valid points and I have to say I agree.Enough blogging, back to my report on cheap cellular phone wallpaper.Over tired,cheap cellular phone wallpaper.